With lifestyle changes, type 2 diabetes, which is the most common type, can be prevented. Prevention is essential if you already have type 2 diabetes as a result of being overweight or obese, having high cholesterol, or having a family history of the condition.
If you have prediabetes, which is raised blood sugar without a diagnosis of diabetes, changing your lifestyle may be able to prevent or delay the onset of the illness.
You may be able to avoid significant health issues related to diabetes, such as damage to your nerves, kidneys, and heart, by making a few small lifestyle changes today. It’s never too late to start.
#1 Reduce excess weight to reduce the risk of diabetes:-
Obesity lowers the risk of developing diabetes. People in one significant trial who lost roughly 7% of their body weight by dietary and exercise improvements saw a nearly 60% reduction in their chance of acquiring diabetes.
To stop the disease from progressing, the American Diabetes Association advises prediabetic individuals to lose between 7% and 10% of their body weight. Additional weight loss will result in even greater advantages.
Set a weight-loss goal according to your current body weight. Talk to your doctor about reasonable short-term plans and goals and expectations, such as a losing 1 to 2 pounds a week.
#2 Exercise more frequently can reduce the risk of diabetes:-
Regular exercise has a variety of advantages. Exercise benefits include:
- Reduce weight
- Reduce your sugar levels by exercising.
- Increasing your sensitivity to insulin will help you get a normal range for your blood sugar.
To promote weight loss and maintain a healthy weight, most people set the following goals:
- Aerobic exercise: Aerobic activity Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate to strenuous aerobic activity each week, which should include at least 30 minutes of brisk walking, swimming, bicycling, or running.
- Resistance exercise: Resistance training Your strength, balance, and capacity to lead an active life are all improved by resistance training, which you should do at least 2 to 3 times per week. Yoga, callisthenics, and weightlifting are all forms of resistance exercise.
- Limited inactivity: Very little inactivity Long periods of inactivity, such working at a computer, can be broken up to assist manage blood sugar levels. Spend a few minutes standing up, moving around, or doing some light exercise every 30 minutes.
#3 Take a plant-based diet that will help a lot to reduce the diabetes risk:-
The vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates in your meals come from plants. Carbohydrates include sugars, starches, and fibre. Your body gets its energy from these sources. Dietary fibre, or roughage or bulk, is the component of plant foods that your body cannot digest or absorb.
Foods high in fibre helps to weight loss and reduce the cause of diabetes. Eat a variety of nutritious, high-fiber foods, including:
- Tree fruits like tomatoes, peppers, and various berries
- Broccoli, cauliflower, and leafy greens are examples of non-starchy vegetables.
- Legumes include things like lentils, beans, and chickpeas. such as quinoa, whole-grain rice, whole-grain oats, whole-wheat pasta, and whole-wheat bread.
Among the advantages of fibre are:
- Lowering blood sugar levels and delaying the absorption of sugar.
- Limiting the ability of dietary fats and cholesterol to be digested.
- Managing additional risk factors that affect heart health, such as blood pressure and
- Inflammation.Avoid “bad carbs” such white bread and pastries, pasta made from white flour, fruit juices, and processed foods that are heavy in sugar or high-fructose corn syrup but low in fibre or nutrients.
4. Consume good fats to prevent diabetes:-
Fatty meals should only be consumed seldom because they are high in calories. Unsaturated fats, commonly known as “good fats,” should be present in a variety of foods in your diet to support weight loss and management.
Unsaturated fats, specifically monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, maintain normal blood cholesterol levels in addition to heart and vascular health. Good sources of fat include:
- oils made from canola, cottonseed, safflower, olive, and sunflower
- Several types of nuts and seeds include almonds, peanuts, flaxseed, and pumpkin seeds.Saturated fats, sometimes referred to as “bad fats,” are found in meats and dairy products.
Only a little amount of these foods should be consumed. You can lower your intake of saturated fats by eating lean meats like pig and chicken, low-fat dairy products, and poultry.
5. Avoid fad diets and opt for healthy alternatives :-
Numerous fad diets, such as the paleo, ketogenic, and glycemic index diets, may help people lose weight. But rarely are these diets’ long-term benefits or their value in preventing diabetes researched.
Your diet should help you lose weight while also focusing on how to keep it off in the long run. In order to choose nutritious foods, you must have a strategy that you can adhere to for the rest of your life. Making healthy judgments over time that incorporate some of your own culinary and cultural preferences may be good for you.
To help you choose and consume food in the best possible way, divide your plate into smaller portions. The three areas of your plate that promote wholesome eating are:
- Fruit and non-starchy veggies make up half.
- Whole grains make up one-quarter.
- 25%: foods high in protein, like lean meats, fish, and legumes.
When to visit the doctor?
Everyone above the age of 45, as well as the following groups, should undergo routine diagnostic testing for type 2 diabetes:
- Obese or overweight people under 45 who also have one or more diabetes risk factors
expecting mothers who have gestational diabetes
- Those with prediabetes who have received a diagnosis
- Children who are overweight or obese, have a history of type 2 diabetes in their family, or who otherwise have a risk
Tell your doctor about your worries regarding diabetes prevention. He or she will be appreciative of your efforts to avoid diabetes and perhaps provide more recommendations in light of your medical background or other circumstances.